English is a universal language spoken in many regions all over the globe for entertainment, technical or commercial purposes. It is important that kids start learning English from a young age as it will help them in future to communicate better in their social as well as work life. Learning the English language can not only be good for kids’ cerebral development but also for increasing concentration capacity and communication skills. Learning a new language or being multilingual makes the learning ability of young kids better. English is the 2nd official language in India after Hindi. Higher-academic instructions are given mostly in English.Since English language is used in many situations in daily life, it becomes essential for students to start learning it from an early age. So, at the age of 16-18 years, they have achieved a good level of proficiency in this language.
Syllabus for Class 1 English
- The NCERT books for Class 1 English have been released by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
- These are the chapters covered:
- A Happy Child
- Three Little Pigs
- After a Bath
- The Bubble, the Straw and the Shoe
- One Little Kitten
- Lalu and Peelu
- Once I Saw a Little Bird
- Mittu and the Yellow Mango
- If I Were an Apple
- Our Tree
- A Kite
- A Little Turtle
- The Tiger and the Mosquito
- Anandi’s Rainbow
- Flying Man
- The Tailor and his Friend
Chapter 1 – Clap, Clap, Clap
Chapter 2 – One, Two
Chapter 3 – The Little Bird
Chapter 4 – Bubbles
Chapter 5 – Chhotu
Chapter 6 – Animals and Birds
Chapter 7 – Fruits and Vegetables
Chapter 8 – Who Am I?
Chapter 9 – Hide and Seek
Chapter 10 – Fun with Numbers
Chapter 11 – Shapes
Chapter 12 – Cats
Chapter 13 – Colours
Chapter 14 – Actions We Do
Chapter 15 – Left and Right
Chapter 16 – The Lion and the Mouse
Chapter 17 – Morning and Evening
Chapter 18 – May I Come In?
Chapter 19 – Action Song
Things to focus on while studying English in class1
- Basic Grammar
- It is essential that the younger students focus on developing a strong foundation in the basic topics of English grammar.
- Having a clear understanding of the rules and concepts in grammar will help the kids easily learn not only English but others languages too.
- Having a good grasp of these topics is important. This will serve as building blocks to form good writing skills in the future.
(Singular and plural nouns, identifying nouns, possessive nouns, proper and common nouns)
(Personal pronouns, possessive pronouns and changing of nouns to pronouns)
(Past, present and future tenses, singular and plural verbs, action words)
(Identifying and writing adjective, common adjectives and matching nouns with adjectives)
(Practicing appropriate placement of punctuation marks at the end of sentences or in between them. Writing dates and numbers in correct format)
Other parts of speech
(Determiners, prepositions, articles, mixed nouns and how to use them in sentences)
- Listening and speaking
- The key step to learning how to speak any language is to listen it first.
- Children learn to listen before they can speak, read or write. From childhood, they listen to their family members talk. They pick-up the most common words and words they start understanding the meaning of.
- They love to listen to bed-time stories read by their parents or siblings. This stimulates their imagination and widens their understanding of this world.
- Listening helps them develop listening and speaking skills. They try to speak the same way they have listened to those words.
- Speaking is an excellent way for kids to express themselves. It is important for parents to create such an environment for their children that they feel comfortable and confident enough to honestly share their thoughts and opinions.
- Speaking is a good way for parents to figure the problems faced by their child if the child has learnt how to speak his or her mind. This was kids will be able to communicate with ease and build a healthy relationship with their parents.
- Teachers also indulge students in all forms of English-learning activities like listening, speaking, reading and writing. Teachers also help sharpen these skills by providing a productive environment in school.
- Reading and Writing
- The habit of reading on a regular basis should be built into kids from a young age. Children learn to start reading the same way they learn to speak.
- Reading builds a base to learn how to write. Reading helps understand the way sentences are formed and different types of sentences.
- By reading good books, kids also learn to understand and grasp stories and concepts.
- Parents play a vital role in helping their children learn to link writing to reading and speaking in their early years of learning.
- Learning and practicing writing helps to cultivate emotional growth in kids. This way they can develop critical thinking skills and show improvement in academic as well as extracurricular activities in school.
- Writing is another great way (after speaking) for children to express themselves. So, it is essential that they focus on learning how to write appropriately too.